Faculty of Geography is the leading educational-methodical and scientific center of geographic education in Ukraine. Training geographers is carried out on 8 departments: Economic and Social Geography, Country Studies and Tourism,
Geography of Ukraine, Physical Geography and Geoecology, Physical Geography and Geomorphology, Meteorology and Climatology, Hydrology and Hydro-Ecology, Geodesy and Cartography.
Faculty of Geography at the University of Kiev began its work in 1933 as part of Geology-Geography Faculty on the base of three departments: Physical geography; Economic geography; Geodesy and Cartography. And in 1944, the Faculty of Geography began functioning as an independent unit of the University of Kiev.
In 1949 on the Faculty of Geography were created the Departments of Geomorphology and Paleogeography; Meteorology and Climatology; Hydrology land. The latest in 1976 was renamed at the Department of Hydrology and Hydrochemistry, and since 2002 is called the Department of Hydrology and Hydro-Ecology.
In 1990 on the Faculty of Geography was created Department of Country Studies and Tourism, and in 1995 - the Department of Geography of Ukraine.
Department of Economic Geography from 1988 is called the Department of Economic and Social Geography, and the Department of Geomorphology and Paleogeography since 2004 called the Department of Land Science and Geomorphology.
In order to prepare specialists in geography and tourism with depth knowledge of the Italian language and culture the Faculty of Geography since 1999 works closely with the Association for Development of the Italian language and Culture "ITALYAMO."
The Faculty of Geographical annually prepares a print periodical publication "Bulletin of The Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv. Geography"; "Economic and Social Geography"; "Journal of Cartography"; "Hydrology, Hydrochemistry and Hydroecology"; "Physical Geography and Geomorphology"; "Geography and Tourism".